Saturday, July 4, 2009

Comic Reviews Week of 7/1/09

It's the Fourth of July, and to me that means more reviews of comics that either infuriated me or were included to create the false impression that there are comics I didn't hate.



Justice League: Cry For Justice #1 (of 7)
Written By James Robinson
Art By Mauro Cascioli

Ah, James Robinson, on the one hand, he wrote Starman, on the other, he wrote the screenplay of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen...so, this comic has the potential to go either way. Still, I really, really, want this comic to be good.

It's not.

First of all, the art isn't bad, but it doesn't seem particularly well-suited to this book. As much as I think Robinson would like it to be different, this is hardly a high concept title, and would be better served by more conventional art.

Second, it's just not fun to read. Hal Jordan comes off as a whiny asshole who at one point says "I am the Law [in this space sector]", Mikaal Tomas blows up somebody's car and just walks away, Ray Palmer tortures a guy for information, and Congorilla...is supposed to be taken seriously.

Maybe it'll turn around over the course of the miniseries, but I have the same bad feeling about this as I did when I read the first issue of the Meltzer run, especially since it has that whole pretentious, let's-take-superheroes-way-too-seriously vibe.


Captain America: Reborn #1 (of 5)
Written By Ed Brubaker
Art By Bryan Hitch and Friends

Personally, I never really liked Captain America. It's probably because it seemed like every comic he was in, the other characters would fawn other him, and if some character didn't, by the end of the issue they'd be proven wrong and duly line up to give Captain America a metaphorical blowjob. And, me being me, the more a writer wants me to admire a character, the more iconoclastic I feel compelled to be.

Anyway, this comic is fine, with the proviso that I'd prefer Steve Rogers to stay six feet under for the same reasons I didn't like the resurrection of Barry Allen; he works better as an impossible standard to aspire to than a living, breating character.

Also, I can't but wonder if Captain America is striving to set right what once went wrong, and always looking for the leap back home.


Batman and Robin #2
Written By Grant Morrison
Art By Frank Quitely

Batman RIP may have been overhyped and underwhelming, but this book is convincing me that it was a necessary step in the Batman titles. Good writing, good art, and a solid premise that I, as of now, I'm going to be bummed to see end when they bring Bruce Wayne back in the not-too-distant future.

This simply isn't a book I care to criticize...which seems like an uncharacteristically positive way to end my reviews....except, there's still one review left




Marvel Divas #1 (of 4)
Written By Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa
Art By Tonci Zonjic

Comics like this make me question that there is a loving God. Surely if a benevolent creator existed he would have done something to prevent this monumentally ill-conceived comic from coming out. I mean, this comic is Sex and the City with superheroines, except I can't imagine who that appeals to.

But, hell, it is trying something new, so I suppose it deserves credit for that, except it does so poorly. The writing isn't very good, best exemplified by the ending where after talking about romantic conquests for fifteen pages, one of the characters suddenly announces she has cancer. It's a weird mood whiplash, and one that this already shaky book can't handle.

And as for the art, well, if you're going to put a J. Scott Campbell cover on a book it sends a certain message, and the art doesn't quite sync up with it, although it's probably to this comic's benefit..

So, if you've ever said to yourself, "Man, if only superheroines would stop fighting crime and instead have an extended conversation about their sex lives, except in a totally non-graphic way," then you simply do not, and, moreover, cannot exist, for if such a person did exist, it would shatter all preconceptions about who comic fans are...and I am not ready to live in that world.

No comments: